55gm plain flour
100gm caster sugar
100gm berry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Take a 36 cm x 26 cm (14 x 10 inch) Swiss roll tin or equivalent dish and line it with baking paper.
- Place the egg yolks and half the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites with in the remaining sugar until well incorporated. Gently fold the egg whites into the beaten yolks, then fold in the flour. Avoid over-mixing the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread to the edges. Bake for about 8 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Turn the warm sponge out onto a clean tea towel. Peel off the baking paper. Spread three-quarters of the jam over the sponge, then carefully roll the sponge up firmly.
- Eventually, dust with icing sugar and serve. It's lovely served with a dollop of cream and a few blueberries.
Recipe by Aleth
This cake is from the Alps/Savoie region. This regional recipe is very popular for celebrating family birthdays and name days. You can either roll it with jam or chocolate paste if you prefer’