- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup green cabbage
- 3 tbsp water
- 200g chicken mince
- 2 shallots
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 20 gow gee wrappers
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, extra
- ½ cup water, extra
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 3 cups jasmine rice (cold)
- 6 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 Chinese sausages
- 200g diced bacon or ham
- 2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 6 shallots
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Peel and finely chop ginger and garlic. Set aside on placemat.
- Cut cabbage into thin slices.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frypan over medium heat.
- Cook ginger and garlic, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add cabbage and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the cabbage wilts. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Cut shallots into small, thin slices.
- Measure and stir in pork, shallots, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil and add to the bowl with the ginger, garlic and cabbage. Season with salt.
- Place 1 wrapper on a clean work surface. Place 1 teaspoon of pork mixture in the centre of the wrapper.
- Brush edges with water. Fold over to enclose filling. Pinch edges together.
- Place on a tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Repeat with remaining wrappers and pork mixture.
- Heat half the extra vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook dumplings for 5-10 minutes or until bases are golden. Add extra water.
- Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until cooked and liquid has evaporated.
- Turn down heat and cover to keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, measure and add all the sauce ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Let the sauce sit for at least 15 minutes, so the flavours develop.
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Spread over a tray. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 2 hours or until dry. (This step will be done prior to the class so the rice is already cold)
- Crack and add eggs to a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Heat a large wok over medium heat until hot. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Swirl to coat base and sides. Pour egg into wok. Swirl to run over base and a little up the side. Cook for 1 minute or until almost set.
- Slide omelette onto a board/placemat. Roll up the omelette and slice into thin strips. Set aside.
- Increase heat to high. Add remaining sesame oil and canola oil to wok. Swirl to coat.
- Cut sausages and bacon or ham into small diced pieces and add to the wok. Stir-fry for 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut the shallots into thin slices. Add shallots to the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add thawed peas, rice and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with omelette and serve.