For the chocolate cake:
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
For the frosting:
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups icing sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 teaspoon milk (as needed for consistency)
- variety of sprinkles
- First, preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Lightly spray an 8 x 8'inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Make a hole in the middle of the dry ingredients, and pour in the oil, vanilla, vinegar and cold water.
- Stir to combine very well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely. Once cool, use a large round cookie cutter or other round cut out 4 circles of cake.
- To make the frosting: beat together all of the ingredients until light and fluffy. Add additional milk as needed to achieve a frosting consistency.
- Stack the cake layers and add frosting in between the layers and on top.
- Top with sprinkles of choice.