- 800g potatoes (or a mix of potato & sweet potato), peeled, chopped
- 1Tbs butter
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 200g button mushrooms, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 400g can lentils, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1tbs Worcestershire sauce
- For the filling, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion until softened.
- Add the carrot, garlic and mushrooms and cook whilst stirring for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, lentils, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes whilst the topping is made.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the potatoes and boil for 10 minutes or until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes well and return to the pan. Add butter, milk, half the cheese and season with salt and pepper whilst mashing until smooth. Keep warm until the vegetable/lentil mix is done.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire and some pepper to the vegetable/lentil mix. Continue to simmer for another minute, if mixture is too watery simmer for longer (if too dry, add a little splash of water or extra stock).
- Transfer lentil mix to ovenproof dish. Carefully spread the potato mix on top and sprinkle cheese with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
Recipe by Sarah Lutze