Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 cuts of meat (eg. chicken, pork, veal or beef cutlet)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 onion
- 500g mushrooms
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Fresh parsley
- 4 lemon wedges
- Place meat into a snap lock bag.
- Using a meat pounder or rolling pin, flatten the meat until it is the same width all over. This helps the schnitzel cook evenly and tenderises the meat.
- Sprinkle each meat cutlet with lemon juice and salt.
- Place 3 shallow bowls on counter. In first one, put flour. In second one, mix egg and water. In third one, put breadcrumbs.
- Coat schnitzel, first with flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs. Ensure the schnitzel is well coated in each ingredient before coating with the next.
- Measure and heat butter and oil over medium heat in frypan.
- Fry schnitzels until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side (depending on thickness of meat).
- Dice onion and bacon into small pieces.
- Cut each mushroom into 6-8 slices.
- In a frypan, brown bacon and onion in butter.
- Add mushrooms and fry until tender.
- Measure and add tomato paste, water, and chicken stock.
- Measure and add paprika. Season with a pinch of thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- Cut parsley into small pieces.
- Add parsley and sour cream. Stir. Keep warm until ready to serve over or beside the schnitzel.
- Serve each schnitzel with a sprinkle of parsley and a lemon wedge on the side.
- Serve mushroom sauce over the schnitzel or in a small bowl on the side.
- You can serve the schnitzel and mushroom sauce with potato mash or a green salad.