Recipe makes two trifles
¾ chocolate sponge cake
8 tablespoons thick vanilla custard
2 tsp white sugar
½ cup thickened cream
2 tsp icing sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla essence
4 chocolate pieces
- Slice 6 strawberries and place them into a plastic bowl.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar on top of strawberries, mix and set aside to macerate.
- Measure and add the thickened cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence to a medium bowl. Whisk the cream until it thickens. Set aside.
- Using a round cookie cutter or the top of the presentation glass, cut out 4 chocolate sponge cake rounds. Set aside.
- Place one chocolate sponge cake round at the bottom of each presentation glass.
- Top the cake round with 2 heaped tablespoon of custard.
- Place half the strawberries on top of the custard.
- Place half the whipped cream on top of the strawberries.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to create a second layer.
- Use liquid from the macerated strawberries and drizzle on top of the cream.
- Shave pieces of chocolate and place on the top of the cream to finish off the trifles.
- Place in the fridge to set.