Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- ½ large onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 tomato
- Spanish onion
- Green chili, if desired
- 1/2 red capsicum
- Small bunch fresh coriander leaves
- Pinch tsp salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
Tortillas (makes 8)
- 2 cups plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 250g sour cream
- 2 limes – quartered
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Bunch of coriander
- Cut the pork shoulder into very large chunks. Do not remove the fat as this gives it the flavour.
- Place the oil in a large heavy set fry pan and heat to high.
- Add the pork shoulder into oil and start to brown the meat.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until well blended.
- Add the braising liquid to the pork.
- Add the condensed milk to the pork.
- Add the juice of 2 oranges to the pan with the pork mixture.
- Transfer the pork to a pressure cooker and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes into small diced pieces and add to a small bowl.
- Cut the Spanish onion into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Cut the chili into tiny pieces (if using) and add to the bowl.
- Tear the coriander into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add the salt.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl.
- Peel and flesh the avocado. Cut into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Cut the capsicum into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Taste and adjust flavours as desired.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight portions – 2 portions each.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion until it is thin - 20cm circle.
- In a large non-stick frypan with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm.
To Serve (suggestion):
- 1.To serve the carnitas – serve the shredded pork carnitas in a large bowl.
- Serve the sour cream, salsa, coriander, cheese and limes in separate bowls.