- 2 cups of sugar
- ⅔ cups of water
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine sugar and water in medium heavy duty saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to the boil.
- Continue to boil without stirring, for 10-14 minutes, or until the colour turns a deep caramel colour.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in condensed milk (mixture will foam up), do not scrape down the sides of pan.
- Add ¼ cup of butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in remaining butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Transfer to a storage jar once cooled.
- Keep in the fridge for 1 week.
Makes about 2 and ¾ cups.