- ¼ cup beef mince
- ¼ cup veal mince
- 1 slice of bread
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Small cos lettuce leaf
- Cheddar cheese slice
- Tomato slice
- 6 large brown onions
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Oil for pan frying
- Tomato Sauce
Home-Made BBQ Sauce
- 2 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oven baking tray
- Medium bowl
- Measuring cup – ¼
- Plastic plate
- Safety Kutter/Knife
- Measuring spoon – ¼
- Metal Spatula
- Egg ring
- Wooden spoon
- Bowls for sauces
- Wooden Spoon
- Small bowls for serving
Add sliced onions to a fry pan and cooks with a little oil. When cooking, add sugar and continue cooking through. When caramelised, set aside in a bowl.
- Cut crusts off a slice of bread and discard. Add milk to the bread. The bread will soak up the milk. Set aside.
- Measure two mince meats and add them to the bowl.
- Add onion powder and garlic powder to bowl.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Add milk soaked bread to the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together by hand until well combined.
- Using an egg ring, mould their mince mixture to form a round patty. Place the patty onto the plastic plate until ready to cook.
- Cook patties 4 at a time on high heat (if frypan) or all (if BBQ). Flip when ready.
- Children add cheese slice on top of patty so it starts to melt.
- Drain on a paper towel when meat is cooked through. Put on 2 trays and in warm oven until burgers are ready to assemble.
- Measure out different ingredients and add to saucepan.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the tomato sauce, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, garlic, mustard powder and salt.
- Bring to a simmer til it thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Set aside.
- Remove buns from oven and cut them in half when meat patties are ready.
- Choose a cos leaf and wash and pat dry. Set aside.
- To assemble:
- Bread half - top with 1 tbsp aioli/mayo
- Place small cos leaf and tomato slice onto aioli/mayo
- Place mince patty with cheese on top of tomato slice
- Put 1 tbsp caramelised onion on top of mince patty
- Add tomato/BBQ sauce on top of cheese mince patty
- Top with other bun half