(makes 2 small pies)
Ingredients: Pie Crust
1 Pie Crust recipe with 1 Tbsp sugar added with the flour.
Ingredients: Mixed Berry
- ¼ cup sugar, plus more for topping
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp corn flour
- ¾ cup of mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- 1 egg with a dash of milk for egg wash
- Prepare one recipe of the all-butter sweet pie dough. While the dough is resting in the fridge, prepare the mixed berry mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Spray each pie tin all over with cooking spray, especially the sides and edges.
- Mix together the sugar, salt, zest and corn flour in a medium bowl. Use a fork to remove any lumps.
- Stir in the mixed berries until all the corn flour is absorbed. Allow the fruit to macerate. Set aside.
- Flour the bench so the dough does not stick. Divide the dough into quarters. Roll out one quarter of the dough and place it in one pie tin ready for the mixture. Repeat for the other pie tin.
- Fork the base of the pie crusts and place into oven for 5-10 minutes to cook slightly.
- Roll out the other two quarters and using a butter knife cut each into 6 thin strips (1 cm wide).
- Take out pie crusts from the oven and place half the berry filling into each of the pie crusts.
- Layer the berry filling with the strips of crust, to make a lattice. Trim the edges if needed with a knife.
- Brush the lattice crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 190 degrees for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.