Recipe makes 2 small quiches
Ingredients: Pie Crust
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 60g very cold butter
- 3-4 tsp ice cold water
Ingredients: Bacon and Cheese Filling
- 4 Tbsp cooked onion and bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp pure cream
- 2 Tbsp mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Method: Pie Crust
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt.Next, cut the butter up into small pieces and add it to the bowl. Work as quickly as you can as this prevents the butter from warming (making for a flakier crust).
2. Using your hands, work the butter into the flour. Work quickly (keep that butter cold!). Rub the butter into the flour until you have pea-sized pieces of butter.
3. Add the ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough begins to come together into a ball and there’s no longer any dry residue left in the bowl.
4. The finished mixture should have a tacky, mouldable texture with visible chunks of butter.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and mould it into a ball.
6. Flatten into a disk and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
7. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. This gives time for the protein in the dough to relax.
Method: Bacon and Cheese Filling
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees.
2. Spray the pie pans all over with cooking spray, especially the sides and edges.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
4. Measure the cheese, onion and bacon and set aside.
5. Remove pastry from the fridge and roll out pastry and mould into 2 pie pans. Trim the edges using a knife. Fork the bases.
6. Place pie crusts into oven for 5-10 minutes to cook slightly.
7. Remove pie crusts and spoon half the onions and bacon into each of the pie crusts.
8. Pour half the egg mixture over the onions and bacon of each pie pan. Sprinkle shredded cheeses on top of each.
9. Bake in oven until a clean knife inserted into centre of the quiche comes out clean or the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
10. Let cool slightly before eating.